FAST Arthroscopy Training System
Developed to train arthroscopy skills
Sawbones is excited to announce the launch of a new FAST (Fundamentals of Arthroscopic Surgery Training) Arthroscopy Training Workstation. This workstation was developed with specifications and refinements from a team led by Robert Pedowitz, MD, PhD. Dr. Pedowitz is the Chair of the FAST Program Committee, which is a collaborative effort by the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS).
Dr. Pedowitz is also Co-Chair of the ABOS Task Force on PGY1 basic skills modules. Hands-on testing of the workstation and further modifications were made by Gregg T Nicandri, MD, Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center School of Medicine and Residents in the Rochester program.
Each Module has been developed to increase the basic psychomotor skills required to perform a basic arthroscopy. Each module can be used to practice basic hand-eye abilities with the use of tools and a scope to move, cut, grasp, and tie materials. Each activity and module simulates the skills required for successful basic arthroscopy.
The FAST Arthroscopy Trainer will be used by AANA at the upcoming OLC (Orthopaedic Learning Center) Arthroscopy workshops.
See below for the ABOS Task Force Modules, and accompanying video demonstrations detailing some exercises that could be used when developing your curriculum to satisfy PGY1 training and testing requirements.
ABOS Task Force Modules:
- Preamble to Arthroscopy
- FAST Program 1: Basic Principles of Arthroscopy
- FAST Program 2: Basic Triangulation Skills
- FAST Program 3: Basic Interventional Arthroscopy
- FAST Program 4: Suture Anchors
- FAST Program 5: Passing Suture through Tissue
- FAST Program 6: Arthroscopic Knot Tying
- Introduction to the FAST Program - Pedowitz
- Basic Principles of Arthroscopy - Nord
- Introduction to Triangulation - Pedowitz
- Basic Triangulation Skills - Pedowitz
- Basic Arthroscopy Instrumentation - Hutchinson
- Suture Anchors - Nicandri
- Suture Passage - Hunter
- Introduction to Knot Tying - Pedowitz
- Arthroscopic Knot Tying - Sweeney
- Left Handed Knot Tying - Feldman
- Demonstration of FAST Knot Tester - Pedowitz
- Arthroscopic Knot Concepts - Pedowitz
- 1, 2, 4, Preamble: Robert Pedowitz, MD PhD- UCLA Health
- 1: Keith D. Nord, MD- Jackson, TN
- 2: Gregg T. Nicandri, MD- University of Rochester
- 3: Mark R. Hutchinson, MD- University of Illinois
- 5: Robert E. Hunter, MD- HRRMC: Salida, CO
- 6: Howard Sweeney, MD- Northwestern, IL
Developed by the Surgical Skills Task Force of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) in collaboration with the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), and the American Orthopaedic Association (A0A)/Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors (CORD)